All around the world, people are stepping up to protect and fight for water. Taking on waste, pollution and big industry, check out these 10 inspiring actions for water below!
Single-Use Plastic Bans
As awareness spreads about the detrimental environmental impacts of plastic, it is becoming easier to implement single-use plastic bans. Trail blazing Costa Rica has put forward a comprehensive national strategy to eliminate all single-use plastics by 2021. This would make it the first country to enact such a widespread ban.
Kenya has just issued the world's harshest plastic bag ban, France is ridding itself of plastic plates, cups and cutlery and Ethiopia, Morocco, Coles Bay Tasmania, Karnataka India and even some spots in the US have also committed to plastic bag bans. San Fransico recently became the first US city to 'go blue' by banning plastic water bottles. Toronto has also reignited the conversation around banning plastic bags.
Awareness Raising Hashtag Campaigns
A number of organizations are working to raise awareness about the problems with single-use plastics by encouraging people to participate in hashtag campaigns online. Here's a few of our favourites:
- #StopSucking from the Lonely Whale Foundation is out to get straws.
- #BreakFreeFromPlastic is an international group of NGOs pushing to end plastic pollution for good.
- #PickUpThree encourages people to pick up at least three pieces of trash every time they visit a beach.
- #BecauseOfWater is asking people to take photos or videos explaining why they love and defend water.
- #StopMicroFibers is being used by the Story of Stuff Project to stop serious implications of plastic fibres in clothing.