VOLUNTEER for the GREAT LAKES WATER WALK
On September 24, 2017, the Great Lakes Water Walk invites people from all backgrounds to join Indigenous Grandmothers, Knowledge Holders and Elders in a day of “walking for the water.”
Everyone is welcome. Throughout the day, walkers will move from east and west along the Toronto waterfront to meet at Marilyn Bell Park for the concluding ceremony, where respected Anishinaabe Elders Shirley Williams and Josephine Mandamin will lead an audience of thousands in a moving blessing for the Great Lakes. They will be joined by the Chiefs of the two traditional territories of the Water Walk route (The Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation and Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation), as well as leaders of cultural and faith groups, government agencies, businesses, along with youth and community organizations. The ceremony and presentations will reflect the shared awe and wonder that the Great Lakes inspire. See www.greatlakeswaterwalk.ca for all the event details and ceremony protocols.
WANT TO VOLUNTEER? We are looking for people and groups who are passionate about water and who are committed to fostering right relationships to help us bring this special event to the greater Toronto community.
We need many kinds of volunteers, including:
- Community Ambassadors – Take a leadership role in your community or watershed to spread the word and invite others to join the walk.
- Pre-Walk Route Clean-up Crew – Help us prepare the ceremony sites before the event by picking up any debris and flagging the route, or clean up afterwards.
- Volunteer Leads – Help manage particular teams of volunteers during the event. Management experience required.
- Walk Leads & Vested Walkers – Act as safety crossing guards and helpers along the route. Know the walk route inside and out, and lead the grandmothers as they carry Nibi (water).
- Caravan Crew – Drive key vehicles from start to finish points on behalf of elders and staff walkers. Must have license and clear abstract – ability to drive standard an asset.
- Directional Assistance – Greet people at the parking lot and point them to the waterfront trail.
- And more ....
- And from now till then, HELP US SPREAD THE WORD! – Visit www.greatlakeswaterwalk.ca and sign up for the latest GLWW news, follow us on social media, and invite your friends, family, and colleagues to register to walk.
To become a part of this amazing team, please click the Volunteer button or contact Aleyah at firstname.lastname@example.org
BE A PART OF WATER DOCS
GET THE WORD OUT: You can help extend the reach of Ecologos programs by getting the word out through social and traditional media, organizing exciting community events, tapping new networks, and finding interested teachers.
JOIN THE DESIGN TEAM: You can also join the Design Team and help plan and execute our programs throughout the year. We look forward to connecting and working with you.
VOLUNTEER FOR WATER DOCS 2018 FILM FESTIVAL: March 2018.